Thursday, 3 January 2013

Alternative fashion: does it still exist?



Back when I was in high school, I was called 'alternative' but looking through old pictures of myself sporting a neon pink tutu with leopard print tights and chains of acrylic diamond-shaped jewellery (a stereotype known as 'scene kids') I wondered, "does 'alternative' really exist anymore?". Since the scene kid days, no new tribe has been born, and all the old ones seem to have merged together and boundaries have become so blurred they are hard to identify.

Reminiscing these past fashion choices with my house mates while scrolling through the album pages of our old Bebo sites got me thinking about how there hasn't been a new subculture in a long time and how today everything in fashion seems to be acceptable. We don't feel the need to dress the same as our friends in order to feel accepted in society, we can leave the house dressed as bizarre as we like and, although some may look twice and possibly even laugh at your choice of attire, it won't be abnormal.

Today, more and more artists such as Lady Gaga and Jessie J hit the red carpet wearing more than daring attire - something which no longer shocks the public (at least not since Lady Gaga's meat outfit). Back in the 80s Madonna dared to push the boundaries of what society deemed normal and acceptable by fearlessly stepping onto the red carpet in a pointed bra and suspenders. But today, does it really take that much balls? Although we all think Gaga is a bit nuts, we're never really taken aback by her latest pap'd look in our magazine, maybe just a 'huh' and turn the page.

Each year London hosts Alternative Fashion Week in which designers who do not walk the runways of fashion week exhibit their clothes. This year I attended the event, but was left disappointed, not because I didn’t like the clothes but because I didn’t feel any of it surprised me. However, this may all be a very British opinion. Maybe I’ve just spent too much time walking around Camden Lock. We are after all the host of the most creative and, I have to say it, ‘alternative’ fashion week, home to the brilliantly avant-garde designers Vivienne Westwood, Alexander McQueen and Meadham Kirchhoff. But I think this is how it should be: people wear what they want, express themselves through clothes, and nobody gives a shit!

3 comments:

  1. Great post, I completely agree, I think we now live in a world where it has become easier to simply, wear what we like. You only have to go into high street stores like topshop to find a bizarre item of clothing, then walk further down the street and there someone is sporting it, and no one gives a second glance. But as you mentioned it's hard to find clothes that particularly 'surprise' or stand out. I love brands like disturbia clothing, because I'm a graphic print kind of girl. However there are many of my friends and peers that wouldn't give some of their items a second glance, yet I'm no less socially accepted, however it's quite the opposite, and I tend to attract people with similar interests, both in fashion and other things! Please take a look at my latest purchase and let me know if you like it! no offence taken if it's not your cup of tea! http://www.rebelstateclothing.com/Product-905/Disturbia-Clothing/Vests/Disturbia-Bat-Country-Womens-Vest-Desert Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks so much for your comment! I do like your t shirt, it reminds me of the Iron Fist heels I want! :)

    Beamish xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, this right information. Thanks for sharing the nice post.

    Alternative clothing

    ReplyDelete